Teignbridge District Council signs up to AquaFund®
Immediate cashable savings from water efficiency measures
Teignbridge District Council in South Devon has signed up to the AquaFund® scheme from ADSM to drive down its water consumption and help it meet government efficiency and sustainability targets.
Based in the market town of Newton Abbot, Teignbridge District Council covers an area along the south Devon coast bordering Dartmoor and encompassing the towns of Ashburton, Dawlish and Teignmouth.
The District Council contacted ADSM and signed up under the AquaFund® scheme for water conservation services to help them conserve water across their entire portfolio of Council sites – including libraries, schools, sports centres, swimming pools and council offices – leading to significant financial savings too.
The AquaFund® scheme provided Teignbridge District Council with:
- The funding, the resources and the expertise to make water savings, without the Council having to source any budget
- Water surveys and audits of all it water consuming assets
- Comparison against national benchmarks to identify overconsuming sites
- A water efficiency plan of action based on the audit data collected, designed to bring Teignbridge District Council to best-practice in water efficiency
- Installation of advanced water conservation technologies to ensure water was conserved wherever possible, without affecting amenities
- Maintenance of technologies by ADSM on an ongoing basis
Also under the AquaFund® scheme Teignbridge receives Water Bureau Services which comprise:
- Validation of the District Council’s water bills
- Verification of water bills prior to payment
- Tariff negotiations to ensure that the best tariff is achieved with the Council’s water provider
- Constant monitoring by ADSM of water consumption data, with trend analysis for ongoing benchmark conformance
- Unusual consumption monitoring for early identification of leaks or other anomalies, so these can be addressed immediately
In the initial stages of the AquaFund® scheme, the data monitoring showed up a large water leak which was promptly fixed with an immediate water and cash saving.
On a monthly basis, Teignbridge receives a detailed water efficiency performance report for each site under the AquaFund® scheme, together with an executive summary for management reporting.
ADSM has also put in place the measures that the District Council needed in order to conform to environmental laws and regulations and achieve BS EN ISO 14001 Environmental Management Certification.
The AquaFund® scheme provides all the assistance and advice, on an ongoing basis, that Teignbridge District Council requires relating to water consumption and efficiency.
Immediate cashable savings
Rob Willcocks, Shared Services and Procurement Manager at Teignbridge Council said:
“ADSM takes care of the entire estate for Teignbridge, looking at our water consumption across the board and introducing high-tech water saving measures. This includes all our offices, leisure centres and numerous public toilets. We expect to make cashable savings straight away.”
In the first six months of the AquaFund® scheme, Teignbridge received a cashable saving of 20% of their total water bill and is expected to make a saving of 30% year on year, which exceeds the government’s target on water efficiency.
In the future
Teignbridge will be working with ADSM to install smart metering and automatic meter reading on its water meters which will alleviate the need for manual meter readings and give the Council even more detailed consumption data and usage profiling to facilitate more organisation wide efficiencies.
AMR can automatically transmit usage data at very frequent intervals to a central database for consumption tracking and raising alarms when uncommonly high usage is detected, which could be an early indication of a water leak or equipment malfunction.